Defining Fascism

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema crdbronx at erols.com
Sun Jul 1 13:26:52 PDT 2001

Brad comments that his definition doesn't fit well with the current Russian and Chinese régimes. This makes sense. Does it also make sense to say that fascism as described, was a kind of phenomenon that arose in capitalist states that were more or less advanced, but still had large population components that were, or recently had been peasants with roots in pre modernity, but which had been touched just enough by market relations that they were susceptible to the kind of blandishments that Brad describes and which would have fed into their anomie? That would account for a number of things that seem to be unclear in this discussion, in particular, the fact that "fascism" seem inapt to any current circumstances.

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema