[male] homoerotics

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Tue Jul 3 17:19:40 PDT 2001

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema wrote:

> I wonder about this. Doesn't this sound more like the men who, in
> prison, make sure they aggressively penetrate other men rather than be
> penetrated because at least, in the absence of women, they thereby
> avoid the passive feminine rôle? Once out of prison, of course, they
> wouldn't be caught dead having any homoerotic experiences.

Stephen Donaldson, who died recently, wrote a famous pamphlet on this subject called "Protective Pairing for Punks." It does a remarkable job of evoking the punk/jocker relationship as if it were the re-enactment of some state of nature ur-marriage situation, the choosing of a protector from a sea of predators, a trade of physical services (affection for protection). But he also talks about the range of emotional relations possible between the protagonists in the often long-term relationship that results.

There is a stunning 6 minute dramatic reading of this pamphlet in real audio format in the archives of This American Life at www.thislife.org/ The show was broadcast on 1/8/99. It is "Act Three" of "Lock-Up". It occurs about 2/3's of the way though the show. There is a complete description of the program in the archive to help you locate it on the file it.

The complete pamphlet "Protective Pairing for Punks" by Stephen Donaldson (more complete but less dramatic), is available at:

http://www.spr.org/docs/pairing.html

Michael