Happy Birthday America, Pwew . . .

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Wed Jul 4 20:16:44 PDT 2001

Here in the capital of world imperialism, it is no longer a news story when manhole covers explode. Seems the age of wiring underground combined with methane from sewerage can pop those babies 50 feet in the air.

We used to talk about the day the shit came down, never guessing that there could be a day when the shit came up. Today's heavy rains combined with our aging sewer system flooded K Street downtown, causing the streets to run with doo-doo.

Meanwhile on the Mall the annual Capitol Fourth show went on in the pouring rain. Emcee Barry Bostwick wrung every cliche possible out of the event. The 5th Dimension performed 'Age of Aquarius," erasing every last drop of meaning out of the song, and of course there were precious few to begin with.

But after all we spend three times as much on armaments as the rest of the world combined. We might be pathetic, but we're dangerous.

mbs