Pipeline plans/800 bodies in mass graves near Belgrade

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Thu Jul 5 22:21:01 PDT 2001

Pipeline plans BELGRADE, Thursday - Yugoslavia, Croatia and Romania are formulating plans to build a joint oil pipeline.

The pipeline will go from the Black Sea to the Adriatic through Serbia.

Director of the managing board of the Adriatoic Oil Pipeline Vesna Trnokop Tanta told B92 that it was part of a project to supply Europe with cheap oil from the Caspian region.

A date for construction work to start has not yet been set. (B92)

800 bodies in mass graves near Belgrade BELGRADE, Thursday - The bodies of some 800 ethnic Albanians from Kosovo have been buried in several mass graves near Belgrade, Serbian police deputy Dragan Karleusa said today.

The officer confirmed that so far exhumations had uncovered 36 bodies - 13 men, 14 women and nine children - from one grave in the Belgrade suburb of Batajnica.

"But we know there are other graves in the area, and we estimate at 800 the number of bodies in them," said Karleusa.

Bodies surfacing on Serbian lake He also confirmed that 75 bodies had recently been exhumed from two mass graves in the eastern village of Petrovo-Selo and the "another grave has been found on the Belgrade-Skopje road."

"We suspect that the former regime also disposed of bodies at the bottom of Lake Perucac," Karleusa announced. "From time to time some bodies are coming up to the surface," he added. (AFP)