Christian love

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema crdbronx at erols.com
Fri Jul 6 13:12:14 PDT 2001

Very good point. As I said before, Christianity is hardly the only social/ideological phenomenon which concepts of sado-masochism can illuminate. Someone once pointed out that there is a parallel to the patriarchal monotheism of which Christianity is an example, in what may be called the "patriarchal atheism" of Stalinism. And as Stalinism retreated farther and farther from the heady libertinism of the revolutionary period it also came more and more to foster male dominance. It's not a new insight to see parallels between Christianity (or, to be entirely fair, some Christianities) and Stalinism. In both we see the logic of accumulation at work. Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema