Christian love

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Fri Jul 6 14:19:46 PDT 2001

C. G. Estabrook:
> ... (the medieval notion of "atonement" was a thousand years in the
> future) ....

Or in the past:

Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of

the LORD revealed? For he shall grow up before him as a

tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no

form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no

beauty that we should desire him. He is despised and

rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief:

and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised,

and we esteemed him not. Surely he hath borne our griefs,

and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken,

smitten of God, and afflicted. But he was wounded for our

transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the

chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes

we are healed. (Isaiah 53:1-6)

It is hard to force this passage into either a sadomasochistic box or a capitalist one; but I am sure it can be done, if one only pounds it long and hard enough, which should come readily to practitioners of either persuasion.