"American Nationalism," was Re: Fascism & Monopoly Capitalism

John K. Taber jktaber at tacni.net
Fri Jul 6 15:27:33 PDT 2001

Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> commented:

<< Carrol Cox wrote:

>Just what constitutes the core of "America" ideologically (in the
>ideology of American patriotism)?

The Constitution, of course.

Yes, but... I don't think such "patriots" know the Constitution beyond the 2nd amendment, which they quote like Scripture. There is a vague acquaintance with the 1st, a distaste for the fifth, which far righties consider a cop out plea, and little or none with the other amendments.

As for the Articles themselves, my experience is that they are totally ignorant of them, and would reject them if they knew what they were.

IMO, they would prefer the Articles of Confederation, but of course they don't know them either. The "patriots" deny the legitimacy of the national government.

-- John K. Taber