DJ Freddy J Spins the Phat Trax

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Fri Jul 6 18:49:18 PDT 2001

On Fri, 6 Jul 2001, ravi narayan wrote:

> list and is a bit unaware of the history: is "DJ Freddy J"
> critiquing pomo or is he one of them?

Fredric Jameson, the person question, is critiquing postmodernism, which he defines as the consumer culture of multinational capitalism.

> regarding "the baffler", and i am intrigued by the factional
> attacks on postmodernism, literary criticism, [relativist]
> philosophy of science etc., within the left.

Well, postmodernism isn't just an ideology, it's a whole life-world or situation. There are some things in that life-world -- great works of art, movements of resistance, etc. -- which resist capitalism, and those are worth ferreting out and saving. Just because we're part of society doesn't mean we can't criticize it.

-- Dennis