lbo-talk-digest V1 #4566

Ann Li annzl at intelleng.com
Fri Jul 6 19:07:16 PDT 2001

I'm presently working on a chapter for a collection on the political economy of art and am grateful to have some additional comic relief available to me. Nothing is more fun than orthodox economists trying to make determinate that which is indeterminate and ignoring the role of other institutional agents or factors (oh gosh, history must hold the patrons and critics constant). I love this "conceptual-experimental" pairing. On the other hand NBER folks have too much time on their hands and should perhaps be working out more interesting "cultural" economic activity like tyring to figure out the moral implications of the financial transactions involved in the Travolta movie "Swordfish"

Ann

Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 18:05:00 -0400 From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> Subject: economists do art

[Any art connoisseurs want to do to this what Leo did to the teacher crap?]

<http://papers.nber.org/papers/W8368>

Young Geniuses and Old Masters: The Life Cycles of Great Artists from Masaccio to Jasper Johns David W. Galenson, Robert Jensen

NBER Working Paper No. W8368 Issued in July 2001

There have been two very different life cycles for great artists: some have made their greatest contributions very early in their careers, whereas others have produced their best work late in their lives. These two patterns have been associated with different working methods, as art's young geniuses have worked deductively to make conceptual innovations, while its old masters have worked inductively, to innovate experimentally. We demonstrate the value of this typology by considering the careers of four great conceptual innovators - Masaccio, Raphael, Picasso, and Johns - and five great experimental innovators - Michelangelo, Titian, Rembrandt, C'zanne, and Pollock. Recognition of the effect of an artist's methods on the timing of his contribution appears to solve a puzzle that has been recognized by art historians for more than a century.