DJ Freddy J Spins the Phat Trax

Christian Gregory christian11 at mindspring.com
Sat Jul 7 07:46:02 PDT 2001

> No techno here, just pure hip hop. Fred is right about that, though. He
> means that the processes of Americanization of the 1950-75 period have a
> direct continuity with those of the 1975-2000 period: US military
> Keynesianism paved the way for Eurocapitalism and the Wall Street/Nikkei
> Bubbles.

One problem is, that's not his argument, it's yours. Another problem is that postmodernism is supposed to orginate in the late 60's and early 70's, which kinda presents a problem for his arguing about globalization deriving from events in the 50s (as above). Yet another problem is that postmodernism, as a cultural logic, doesn't appear in the above argument at all, unless military Keynesianism is supposed to stand in for it. I could go on . . .

>What makes Fred special is that he taps into the cultural capital
> of the total system, turning its own energies against itself; sometimes I
> wish he'd get more specific and nail things down, carry concepts to their
> Adornic negative dialectical end, but all gripes aside, he remains our
> greatest Marxist.

"Our"? Greatest Marxist what?

Christian