Mommy, what's an intellectual?

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sun Jul 8 16:20:54 PDT 2001

As I understand it the term "intellectual" as a label for a stratum of persons did not come into use until the time of the Dreyfus case in France, at the end of the 19th century, and the term was originally used mainly be conservative publicists to disparage the collection of writers, professors, and professional men, who had come to the defense of Dreyfus.

Jim F.

________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.