What's wrong with being 'intellectual'?

Brenda Rosser shelter at tassie.net.au
Mon Jul 9 03:28:42 PDT 2001

I prefer the word 'learned' rather than 'intellectual', because I think that many 'unlearned' people have high 'intellect' but don't necessarily have the opportunity to develop 'it' as they would like to.

Arrogance relating to the possession of certain specific knowledge is what is offensive (as is any form of arrogance). I believe the medical profession display this unfortunate trait to a high degree (in their assumptions that patients are incapable of understanding medical concepts and their repeated refusal to share their knowledge with 'underlings').

Hierarchies in organisations simply perpetuate this arrogance.

Knowledge is something that should be shared rather than used as a 'status symbol'. I wish the school and University I went to had more 'intellectuals'.

Brenda Rosser