zionism

Seth Ackerman sackerman at FAIR.org
Thu Jul 12 11:31:19 PDT 2001

Brad DeLong wrote:

> Or at least some attacks on Arafat for choosing low-level war with Sharon
> over half-a-loaf with Barak...
>
> Or someone pointing out that somehow Egyptian and Saudi claims that "peace
> is unattainable without Palestinian sovereignty over East Jerusalem, a
> guaranteed right of return for Palestinian refugees, and the creation of a
> Palestinian state" never mention the desirability of a guaranteed right of
> return for the descendants of the pre-WWII Jewish communities of Damascus
> and Baghdad...
. It's funny: I've never heard a Palestinian argue against letting Iraqi Jews return to Iraq (why would they make such an argument?). Yet I'm always hearing Americans and Israelis earnestly explaining why justice demands that millions of Palestinian refugees never be allowed to return home.

When Saddam Hussein took Kuwait, America said half a loaf was unacceptable. Justice demanded 100% of Kuwait be returned, along with various other demands. If the demands weren't met, the price was not "low-level war" but a pretty catastrophic carpet bombing of 22 million people (not to mention a decade of embargo to prevent reconstruction.)

Just goes to show how easily double standards and blind spots can sit in an intelligent mind.

Seth