zionism

Seth Ackerman sackerman at FAIR.org
Thu Jul 12 13:23:36 PDT 2001

Brad DeLong wrote:

> We're not talking about "justice" here. Justice requires that
> Palestinians be able to return to Jaffa. Justice requires that Iraqi
> Jews be able to return to Baghdad. Justice requires that the
> Palestinian Authority, the Saudi Kingdom, and the Egyptian state
> transform themselves into democracies. Justice requires that
> non-Jewish Russians cease to be anti-semitic, and that dry bones of
> the six million Jews killed by Europeans half a century ago come to
> life again.
>
> We're talking about peace--a very different thing than justice. And
> to shut out peace on the grounds that it isn't justice is to
> guarantee that you will get neither.
. I agree with all of this. Pragmatism and reasonable compromise are the only ways to bring peace and prevent the loss of innocent lives -- see below:

Seth Ackerman wrote:

When Saddam Hussein took Kuwait, America said half a loaf was unacceptable. Justice demanded 100% of Kuwait be returned, along with various other demands. If the demands weren't met, the price was not "low-level war" but a pretty catastrophic carpet bombing of 22 million people (not to mention a decade of embargo to prevent reconstruction.)

Seth