zionism

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Thu Jul 12 15:43:57 PDT 2001

Zionism deserves a lot of the criticism it's getting here, but the 'blood' thing glosses over the fact that it's a reaction to the anti-(jewish)blood principle underlying anti-semitism.

When you are oppressed unto extinction because of your blood, you could be indulged for defending yourself in the same terms.

A non-trivial and irrational dimension of left anti-zionism stems from the fact that it chose the eventual winner in the global power sweepstakes. If it had allied with the USSR from the start (which voted to recognize the new state of Israel) and the Palestinians blocked with the U.S. et al., many on the left would take a different view of it. Pro- or con, such a view has a strong dose of illogic.

mbs

At 03:15 PM 07/12/2001 -0400, you wrote:
> >To single out the migration ideology of the Jews as uniquely racist is
not
> >anti-Israel but anti-Jewish. It is the specific end-product of that
> >migration, the Israeli state that deserves the criticism, so casual
attacks
> >on "Zionism" rather than the Israeli state just melds anti-semitism into
the
> >criticism.

Well, it's not anti-jewish because it is perfectly possible to be jewish and not to be a zionist: for example, my father. It is even possible to be an aetheist and be a zionist. Zionism is not based on religious belief per se, it's based on blood--on the posession of Jewish blood!

The Israeli state IS the result of Zionism and US support. Although the Israeli state would like everyone to believe that being opposed to Israeli policy is the same as being an anti-semite, this is not the case. The greatest dissension on this very issue can be found in Judaism itself.

Joanna Bujes