Funky names

John K. Taber jktaber at tacni.net
Thu Jul 12 17:43:54 PDT 2001

Chris Doss <chrisd at russiajournal.com> wrote:

<< A friend of mine in high school was named Trout Fishing In America Rogers.

Archer.Todd at ic.gc.ca wrote:

>Just the other
> night, she was telling me about someone she knows
> whose parents named her the chinese equivalent of
> Love The Peoples Army! She wasn't joking! I mean you
> have to be on the level of fanaticism of well...

At least that was "legitimate". How about the fanaticism brought on by certain capitalistic bodies which encourages parents with the last name of "White" to name daughters "Snow", or those poor unfortunates whose parents, ahem, "overindulged" in the Sixties and ended up naming the poor kid something like "Moon Glow" (although this last might be the equivalent of an urban legend; nobody is THAT nuts, right?).

The cruelest story I heard occurred here in Texas (where else?). Senator James Hogg named his daughter Ima.

Supposedly he named his oldest daughter Ura, but she died in childhood. However, this is probably legend, I last heard he never had an older daughter.

Ima Hogg was for real though. She was the unofficial hostess for Houston for decades. She still reigned when I lived in Houston in the 60s.

-- John K. Taber