(US) zionism

Brad Mayer bradley.mayer at ebay.sun.com
Thu Jul 12 19:13:08 PDT 2001

Because the central aim is to attack the US state, not "Israel", which is _nothing but_ an appendage. It is crucial to grasp this. Likewise, Zionism - regardless of its European historical origins - is now entirely an annex of American politics and ideology. Contemporary historical developments have presented this to us as the prime target of anti-imperialism - not by choice - but necessarily so, since ideologically, Zionism neatly comprises all the reactionary "core values" of US imperialism: settler-state, Gods' country, manifest destiny, chosen people ("americans", that is), military supremacy, race-based "democracy", the "go it alone, fuck the world" attitude - the thematic parallels are well established in American historiography.

Politically, we see that US Zionist politicians (the most important of which have not been Jewish at all, but who have made support of "Israel" one of their specialties) have very much occupied a bipartisan catbird seat in the US regime, but with a noticeable tilt (with historical roots) towards the Democrats. Well, that just happens to be the party favored by the majority of US leftists, and attacking US Zionism would threaten the ongoing suppression of an organized independent Left. So, for this and other reasons, US Zionism is a crucial nexus for holding together the US regime. It's hardly the only one, but its the one that current developments have offered up as a target, and it is as good as any other potential candidate.

And, when - as we should - we place the whole "Israel" question in the greater context of US intervention in the Middle East, we begin to see that this struggle is much more like Vietnam than South Africa. The US never seriously strove for "victory" in South Africa, but it did in Vietnam and it is attempting to do so in the Middle East today, where annihilating at least one Arab nation will serve a subjugating example for the rest. Ain't that how Empire's done, if necessary?

And what was really radicalizing about the anti-Vietnam War struggle was that it caused a lot of people to begin to question these "core values", to begin to see that this "America" really presented a huge problem for the development of humanity, indeed, its number one problem.

So, to focus on the so-called "foreign" state of Israel is not only besides the point and misleading, but a positive political disservice as well. This only serves to mobilize the anxieties of American Jews (who will reject "attacks on the state of Israel") along reactionary lines, while keeping the rest of the American population asleep.

But it will keep the Democratic Party intact. And preserve the status quo among US leftists.

-Brad Mayer