(US) zionism

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Thu Jul 12 19:47:37 PDT 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: "Brad Mayer" <bradley.mayer at ebay.sun.com>

>Because the central aim is to attack the US state, not "Israel", which is
>_nothing but_ an appendage.

Which is why I have such disdain for folks coming from this approach, since it really cares very little about the suffering of the Palestinian people. It's all about using them for other political purposes such as attacking the US - which is hardly anything knew for the Palestinians, since so many of their allies prefer them as an ideological weapon than to actually seek to help them. Jordan held the West Bank of course for decades and never created a Palestinian state.

This just parallels the reality that because the sufferings of the Kosovars was not useful for attacking the US, many so-called leftists did not think their suffering was a worthy issue. Thousands of Kosovar deaths were dismissed as minor repression that was at least partially excused by the KLA's resistance to Serbian rule. In fact, the comparison of the Kosovars to the Palestinians is quite obvious - and was obvious to the Israelis, many of whom identified with the Serbs.

And the idea that support for Israel is about the two party system just reflects the monomania of the third party advocates, since if that was true, we'd see Ralph Nader on television denouncing US policy on Israel. Of course he is not.

-- Nathan Newman