Fw:Re: AUT: Re:gay-bashing Serb nationalists

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Thu Jul 12 19:49:08 PDT 2001

I'm inclined to agree uneasily, that late (how late? [Will the final conflict ever come? ] consumer capitalism in the metropolitan core states has, at an accelerating rate integrated the more affluent among gay urban male professional-managerial classdom. A number of books I should read deal with the intersections between capitalism and commodified gay identity. "Selling out: The Gay and Lesbian Movement Goes to Market, " by Alexandra Chasin ; "The Construction of Homosexuality, " by David Greenberg. Neo-marxist. Urvashi Vaid , "Virtual Equality: The Mainstreaming of Gay and Lesbian Liberation." "Queerly Classed, " ed. by Susan Raffo / Paperback / South End Press A few I read 20 odd years ago David Fernbach (translator of Marx), hmm, can't find the title, was published stateside by Allyson Press...an anthology from the UK journal of the 70's "Gay Left" contained folks like Jeffrey Weeks, who wrote classics later. Allyson & Busby publishers I think. "Homosexuality and Liberation, " by Mario Mieli. Final book recommendation (though the revier in The Nation, Doug Ireland, had some critical comments about tone) a vol. of French gay liberation since May '68. Mchael Pugliese

----- Original Message ----- From: "Good Soldier Svejk" <goodsoldiersvejk at hotmail.com> To: <aut-op-sy at lists.village.virginia.edu> Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2001 7:09 PM

Without wishing to seem gratuitous, I'm thinking the opposite - that the identity politicos should pay a lot more attention to production, to real material considerations, and to how and why Marx considered the proletariat to be the revolutionary class that would end all classes. The queer lists I'm on are debating identity a lot - if in a rather circular manner. I'm getting involved in some of these arguments, but must admit to considerable caution, because I cannot really comprehend "homophobia" (foul word - stigmatises the mad) as an intrinsic part of capitalism. There is a great deal of work to do here.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "cwright" <cwright at 21stcentury.net> To: <aut-op-sy at lists.village.virginia.edu> Sent: Friday, July 13, 2001 2:18 AM Subject: Re: AUT: Re:gay-bashing Serb nationalists

> Indeed, a good point. One thing that is very important is support outside
> the GLB community. That's why I am always frustrated with people whose
> politics remain at the level of the point of production. We have to try
> engage and build resistance at every level.
>
> Peter, thanks for the fleshing out, really great stuff.
>
> Cheers,
> Chris

<snip>

--- from list aut-op-sy at lists.village.virginia.edu ---