zionism

Michael McIntyre mmcintyr at wppost.depaul.edu
Fri Jul 13 06:53:09 PDT 2001

It seems to me that framing this discussion as "what do we want, peace or justice?" misses the point. If an injustice has been done to me, it may be wise for me to settle for a limited remedy of the injustice simply because the costs of extending a conflict (through the courts, for example) to remedy the injustice can come to exceed the harm done me by the initial injustice. On the other hand, since the costs of pursuing a conflict of this sort are usually irretrievable, it may be rational for me to continue to pursue the conflict even if my costs have already exceeded any possible gain. BUT: I am the one who gets to decide when it is in my interest to forego the conflict, and to settle for peace instead of justice. Least of all does someone who has been bankrolling the party who has done me the injustice get to lecture me about my irrationality in refusing "half a loaf".

Michael McIntyre

>>> Archer.Todd at ic.gc.ca 07/13/01 07:39AM >>>

and Seth wrote:

>I agree with all of this. Pragmatism and reasonable compromise are the only
>ways to bring peace and prevent the loss of innocent lives

Jesus, guys! I realize that peace isn't a bad thing in and of itself, but this "peace, pragmatism, and reasonable compromise" sounds like the same horse-shit the capitalists spoon-feed the unions! Might as well hoist the white flag and get back to work!

Todd :{(>