Homophobia and Capitalism (was:Fw:Re: AUT: Re:gay-bashing Serb na tionalists)

Archer.Todd at ic.gc.ca Archer.Todd at ic.gc.ca
Fri Jul 13 07:17:48 PDT 2001

Mike's friend Good Soldier Svejk said:

>but must admit to
>considerable caution, because I cannot really comprehend "homophobia" (foul
>word - stigmatises the mad) as an intrinsic part of capitalism.

Maybe it has something to do with a structural recognition and acceptance of "popular homophobic culture" in order to foster harmony within the system so it can keep on making money with no slow-downs due to outbreaks of anti-gay unrest. Much like the Armed Forces desire to keep a "tight ship" so the end job gets done that much more quickly and efficiently, capitalist enterprises seek to maintain a similar discipline to facilitate money-making for the owner. Any disruption, such as that caused by anti-gay agitation, slows down the whole works. It's just much easier to "smooth things over" by getting rid of then replacing the minority who "caused" the disturbance, than "wasting" more time and money questioning and firing even more people.

In the really long-term view (i.e. centuries) in "Western" countries, things have been getting better for LGBTs (same goes for the proles), and societies have been getting more "open", so the capitalist doesn't have to worry quite so much about "anti-gay slowdowns" and so can feel comfortable not worrying about employees sexual backgrounds.

How that sound for a quick-and-dirty hypothesis, Mike? Let your friend see it.

Todd