Teamsters, Hoffa Jr. and Rank Opportunism On The Left

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Fri Jul 13 09:08:36 PDT 2001

I agree w/everything in your post.

My own beef is the inordinate prejudice against the IBT, Junior Hoffa and all, relative to other unions, by many on the left. Just look at DH's distortion-by-quotation of the IBT article. Outrageous.

Under present circumstances, my criticism of the unions' electoral stance is their refusal to demand better terms for their indispensable support. In this regard, Hoffa's rattling the DNC birdcage is a bright spot, in my book, even if it mitigates any implied criticism of the GOP. Pressure results from competition.

Supporting union democratization is a no-brainer, but my qualification there is that insurgencies become establishments and innocents are corruptible. So the left ought not to expect too much from democratization movements. The same pressures that corrupt leadership will be exerted on replacement leadership. To be totally honest, my job precludes me from having anything to do w/union insurgencies. EPI is funded by existing leaders, not potential ones, and we have to work with people who work for those leaders. If there are new leaders, we'll be their best friends too. We have to stay out of intra-union politics.

mbs

Anyone of us who chooses to work in the context of real mass institutions which have an impact on the real world of politics knows that we are not working in ideal institutions. . . .