Teamsters, Hoffa Jr. and Rank Opportunism On The Left

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jul 13 10:04:07 PDT 2001

Max Sawicky wrote:

>I agree w/everything in your post.
>
>My own beef is the inordinate prejudice
>against the IBT, Junior Hoffa and all, relative
>to other unions, by many on the left. Just look
>at DH's distortion-by-quotation of the IBT article.
>Outrageous.

Don't I recall Junior buddying up to Pat Buchanan at some point last year? Oh yeah, and wasn't there something about an audience of 5,000 Teamsters "heatedly cheering" <http://www.salon.com/politics2000/feature/2000/04/13/wto/> Buchanan's warning to China: "You stop persecuting Christians, you stop threatening my country, or you guys have sold your last pair of chopsticks in any mall in the United States"? Just rhetoric, right - nothing racist in the chopstick remark, no trace of Gompers' Asian-bashing?

Doug