comment on Zionism discussion

Dennis dperrin13 at mediaone.net
Sat Jul 14 06:57:23 PDT 2001

teds wrote:

> To Mr. Henwood, your truck with the opposing-Zionism
> -is-rooted-in-anti-semitism view is curious. Nothing but a Stalinist-style
> smear, in my view.

Can't say that I've followed this thread as closely as I should, but this above charge seems way off to me. Could anyone please clarify what the fuck this person is talking about here?

It reminds of a Nation party I went to years ago in the Village. I'm pretty sure Doug was there, as was the dying Andy Kopkind (who shared a joint with Katrina vanden Heuvel) and my erstwhile chum JoAnn Wypijewski, who had stopped talking to me because I thought Howard Stern was funny. In any event, I found myself in a rather heated discussion about the intifada with two Israeli leftist women. Now, I'd always considered myself pretty pro-Palestinian rights (and had just debated Rabbi Avi Weiss on Barry Gray's radio show about media coverage of Israel, which didn't go over well with either gentleman), but here I was being painted as an apologist for occupation.

"Hamas isn't the long-term answer," I said.

"Who are you to decide for them?" countered one of the women.

"Do you want to see an Islamic theocratic state instead of a pluralist Palestine?" I asked.

"Hamas is part of the resistance," the woman answered.

"Blowing up buses in crowded shopping areas is really bad strategy," I said. "It's terrorism, not resistance."

"They should blow up our buses!" said the other woman. "They live under apartheid! We bomb them all the time!"

I think I said something about hitting the IDF instead of civilians (the way Hezbollah did in Lebanon), but I'd been tarred as soft on the crucial issue.

Wonder where those women are now?

DP