Homophobia and Capitalism

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Sat Jul 14 11:39:56 PDT 2001

I agree with the "Good Soldier Svejk" (the novel a good read, btw? I assume so otherwise why...)

I was gonna ramble a bit on this this morning, maybe I stilll will, my initial thoughts last night after midnight were how to phrase what I see as the ideological relationships between late consumer capitalism esp. in the "cosmopolitan" urban cores in the US and Europe and gay identity among the more privileged guppies, without sounding like what I am not. A Stalinist or Maoist raving about homosexuality being a symptom of bourgeois decadence or a Right-Wing Libertarian applauding how open and free from homophobia that 21st century Kapitalism is.

I take what Chris was saying about hisorical context seriously, as we all do, but, history as a way of moving, not least because of the struggles of many in the gay rights movements. Much more to be done, much accomplished though.

On "structural-functionalism" as distingushed from structuralism ala Laude Levi Strauss, say, I'll expand later. But, in the meantime see these URL hits from google. Y'all never read Talcott Parsons or Robert Merton in Sociology classes?

Two leftist critiques of Parsons are, "The Sociological Imagination, " by C. Wright Mills and, "The Coming Crisis of Western Sociology, " by Alvin Gouldner. Gouldner also wrote, "Alvin W. Gouldner, The Future of Intellectuals and the Rise of the New Class, " http://www.google.com/search?q=Gouldner+The+New+Class+

LBO-Talk February 2000: Re: "New Class"? Weber Redux! ... the "new petty bourgeoisie" (eg, Nicos Poulantzas), the "new class" (eg, Alvin Gouldner), the "professional-managerial class" (Barbara and John Ehrenreich ... www.nuance.dhs.org/lbo-talk/0002/1568.html

and , "The Two Marxisms." ... 1984, pp 47-60; Review article of Jacoby, Dialectic of Defeat and Gouldner, The Two Marxisms, Theory, Culture and Society, 1, 2, Autumn 1984, pp 120-3. ... www.martinshaw.org/marxism.htm http://www.google.com/search?q=structural-functionalism&btnG=Google+Search Unit 10: Structural-Functionalism: Durkheim, Parsons, Davis-Moore (Monday, Nov. 11th). ... questions Questions on Structural Functionalism. www.socsci.mcmaster.ca/soc/courses/soc2r3/sf/2r3_10.htm Notes on Structural Functionalism and Parsons ... Wallace and Wolf trace the development of structural functionalism to Comte, Herbert Spencer, and Durkheim. The functional approach was developed from the ... www.uregina.ca/~gingrich/n2f99.htm STILE Ed Brown's Resource Information | Linked topics | Author | Search | Edit
www.stile.lut.ac.uk/~gyedb/STILE/t0000446.html

Michael Pugliese ----- Original Message ----- From: "Good Soldier Svejk" <goodsoldiersvejk at hotmail.com> To: <aut-op-sy at lists.village.virginia.edu> Sent: Saturday, July 14, 2001 11:07 AM Subject: AUT: Re: Homophobia and Capitalism

> 1: To clarify what I meant by comprehending "homophobia" as an intrinsic
> part of capitalism (and given my reservations as to the word homophobia, I
> should have put it another way):
> It is difficult to see homosexuality as being fundamentally threatening to
> capitalism, that is, in some way challenging the basis of capitalist
order,
> and so inevitably persecuted. Manifestly, gays and lesbians have been, and
> are, oppressed. The roots and sources of this oppression, the impetus
behind
> it, are unclear.
> There has been improvement in their position. Great strides have been
taken
> in the last thirty years. Over a longer (capitalist) period, there have
been
> moments of progress - the decriminalisation of sodomy by the Code
Napoleon.