"Zionism"

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Wed Jul 18 15:23:49 PDT 2001

One of the last paragraphs from a Pacific News Service writer in todays SF Chronicle, Chris Smith, "About 6,500 settlers along with the military outposts to protect them, occupy 42 % of the Gaza Strip, according to the Israeli activist group, Peace Now. Roughly 1 million Palestinians live in the remaining 58 %."

Question: how many square miles is the Gaza Strip? And, then given that acreage, what is the population density of settlers (leaving aside whatever area the military outposts occupy...Unless, someone can find on a Peace Now, or more left site or source that is reliable...or even, heh, the IDF!) vs. Palestinians.

And, related, I've heard the West Bank is about the most densely populated area in the world. How does this compare to say, Tokyo or Mexico City? A while back for pen-l, I found a academic journal abstracts in population demographics, but, I don't feel like wading through the zillions of cites to find those stats. Michael Pugliese