Israel's borders

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Wed Jul 18 15:40:31 PDT 2001

At 04:12 PM 07/18/2001 -0400, you wrote:
> >But there is another set of rights at issue here. Presumably Israelis
> >have a right to live in peace behind secure borders. Does anyone have
> >a clue as to how that is to be accomplished? Or is the long-term plan
> >for everyone now in Israel to move to Greater New York?

Hmm. Did the Palestinians have a right to live in peace behind secure borders?

It seems that that kind of "right" is either earned by treating your neighbors with respect, or it is earned by power: you can annihilate your neighbors, so if they don't like what you're doing, that's tough. We know which path Israel has chosen. We also know how tricky the notion of borders can be. The US felt waging a war in Viet Nam was necessary in order to defend its "ideological" borders.

Which, brings up the the 64,000 question: where are Israel's borders? And who has a right to determine that?

Joanna