WTO Plan to "Sell" Itself to American Youth

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Thu Jul 19 12:37:56 PDT 2001

If this is not a spoof memo, then reality is far more twisted than anyone could ever write. Just note the suggestion of pitting pro-WTO and "anti" spokespeople on the Jerry Springer show.

Reading this, it strikes me as a very well written parody, but I could be convinced it was authentic.

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org http://www.nathannewman.org

----- Original Message ----- From: "Guilherme C Roschke" <groschke at luminousvoid.net> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2001 3:19 PM Subject: WTO Plan to "Sell" Itself to American Youth

gr at luminousvoid.net http://www.luminousvoid.net

Leaked Memo Reveals WTO Plan to "Sell" Itself to American Youth Deanna Swift, AlterNet July 17, 2001

Geneva -- Ever since the disastrous "Battle of Seattle" in 1999, the World Trade Organization has been trying to remake its image, trading in the persona of global tyrant for that of a "hip," "with it" agent of change. The group's efforts took a bizarre turn today with the unauthorized release of a memo outlining a sophisticated WTO public relations campaign intended to win the support of American youth.

The memo, leaked to the Swiss newspaper, Le Matin, was prepared by the American marketing firm Y Not, Inc., which specializes in advertising campaigns aimed at 12 to 19-year-olds. Entitled "Positive Anarchy," the document lays out a detailed plan for selling the WTO brand to American youth through merchandising, product placement and so-called guerilla marketing.

News of the plan has some of the WTO's more straight-laced supporters shaking their heads. "I don't think that this so-called spin is the answer to our problems," said Hans Dieter Sprecht, director of International Trade for the Deutsche Bundesbank. "The WTO should be focusing more on security issues, including security at its own meetings."

Critics of the WTO immediately condemned the organization. "We think it's despicable that the World Trade Organization would aim its propaganda campaign at children," said Fiona Lippman-Suarez, a spokesperson for the London-based activist group Global Justice Watch. "Then again, what can you expect from an organization that thinks it's fine for 4-year-olds to make footballs and carpets?"

The embarrassing revelation comes at a particularly awkward time for the WTO, which is preparing to launch its fourth ministerial conference in Doha, Qatar in November. Just last month, the organization released a pamphlet entitled "10 Common Misunderstandings About the WTO," responding to criticism by anti-globalization protesters.

The WTO denied any knowledge of the public relations memo, "Positive Anarchy," the full text of which appears below.

***

Campaign Plan for "Positive Anarchy"

Privileged and Confidential Subject to Attorney-Client Privilege Attorney Work Product

MEMORANDUM

July 2, 2001