race

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Jul 19 15:52:42 PDT 2001

At 01:43 PM 7/19/01 -0700, joanna wrote:
>I myself was educated before pomo, therefore I was taught that there were
>three races: black, white, and asian. However, since then I have realized
>that this concept is a product of the mind/culture rather than of biology.
>Nevertheless, just because I don't believe in it, doesn't mean that other
>people don't believe in it and I was particularly focusing on the zionist
>concept of the "chosen people" ... the jewish race and all that it leads to.

This whole argument that race might not have biological foundations, but people believe it does, therefore it is real, reminds me of an old asylum joke:

A person was committed to a mental hospital because he believed he was a mouse. After a prolonged therapy, the shrinks managed to cure the guy and, consequently, decided to release him. On the day he was supposed to leave the hospital, the doctor who treated him shows up to say goodbye and wish him good luck. As they talk in the hallway, a cat runs by. The patient is absolutely terrified. "What's wrong?" asks the nonplussed doctor. The patient points at the cat. "My friend" says the doctor "but you've been through the therapy, and now you know you are not a mouse." "That's true, doc" replies the patient, "I know that I'm not a mouse. But does the cat know that too?"

wojtek