race

Forstater, Mathew ForstaterM at umkc.edu
Thu Jul 19 19:39:51 PDT 2001

people interested in the issues of zionism and racism should check out the materials prepared around the un resoluition that zionism is racism. there was a collection of essays put out by EARFORD or EAFORD (elimination of all forms of racial discrimination). a somewhat subtle distinction was made between racism and racial discrimination. many zionist writings did refer to 'race' and 'blood' and 'people' and other similar terms in ways that could be interpreted as race, but there were further issues, such as the belief that there was an inherent incompatibility between Jews and non-Jews (often used as justification for the State of Israel). also the whole 'primordialist' thesis of Shils, Geertz and others. 'From Time Immemorial'

-----Original Message----- From: Kelley Walker To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com; lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Sent: 7/19/01 7:07 PM Subject: Re: race

At 01:43 PM 7/19/01 -0700, joanna bujes wrote:
>I myself was educated before pomo, therefore I was taught that there
were
>three races: black, white, and asian. However, since then I have
realized
>that this concept is a product of the mind/culture rather than of
biology.
>Nevertheless, just because I don't believe in it, doesn't mean that
other
>people don't believe in it and I was particularly focusing on the
zionist
>concept of the "chosen people" ... the jewish race and all that it
leads to.

>Joanna Bujes

it's not clear what pomo has to do with anything? benedict (thanks pug! i usually call him eggs bendict anderson so i don't confuse :) anderson isn't much of a pomo, as far as i know? http://www.nationalismproject.org/what/anderson.htm

i guess what the problem is is that we look at race thru very UScentric eyes and we make the way blacks were racialized as the guage for examining every other form of racialization. if the situation doesn't have ______,

then it can't be race and must be named something else. dunno. just a thought.

kelley