Zionism vs. Black Nationalism

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Thu Jul 19 22:20:33 PDT 2001

Self-determination is the slogan of a nation in captivity, when it doesn't have the upper hand. When it does, we call it nationalism.

We could imagine blacks trying to buy up all the property in, say, Tennessee, but we could equally imagine efforts to prevent that, just as Israelis cannot easily buy just whatever land they like from Palestinians. So any effort to create a monopoly of control by ownership creates problems similar to those faced by zionists in Israel. Getting control by extra-legal means is obviously much more difficult, even for zionists in Israel. Even if a project is morally justified, support for it ought to depend on its practical feasibility.

But there would seem to be plenty of nations under control of people of African descent. What's the difference to those in power if there are a few white people there or not. My gut reaction if Mozambique elected to declare itself Afrocentric and expel all whites would be first, who gives a shit, and second, what does this profit them, or how does the policy abet its ruling promulgators in some kind of oppression of their 'own' people?

Zionism is a type of nativism; black nationalism in the U.S. is nativism w/o political power. Black nationalism in a place like Nigeria is beside the point, or worse, some kind of diversion in the service of narrow interests.

The slogan of self-determination makes perfect sense for a captive nation, assuming it qualifies well as a nation, and I have no problem supporting it, but there is a big difference between self-determination and positive discrimination against minorities. Self-determination is fair. Some measures under the rubric of being left alone, etc., might not be, depending on what they were, and in what context. Mugabe's government has the right to expropriate land owned by whites, I would say, but it doesn't have the right to expropriate them unto destitution, to run them out of the country, or to shoot them, even though that's what some other whites did when they ruled Rhodesia.

I would not classify blacks in the U.S. as a nation. If they all lived in Kansas I might. But suppose my wife and daughter are black, and you're out there in Topeka calling for an in-gathering of the diaspora and a right of return for them but not for me. Then I do have to fight you, cause there is no good deli in Kansas!

I say this despite my hesitation in responding to questions directed at "white people," in light of all the commentary (including from some African- Americans) to the effect that "white people" do not exist. Nor am I sure I would qualify as a typical bourgeois leftist, and certainly not a typical marxist.

mbs