Ethical foundations of the left

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Sat Jul 21 10:04:54 PDT 2001

Positivists did not deny the existence of "ethical" sentences but they did deny they were true or false that is propositions and so they did in that sense deny ethics as traditionally understood. I thought the classic statement of the lp view on ethics was the emotive theory as exemplified in A.J. Ayer's chapter on ethics in Language, Truth, or Logic. The emotive theory claims that ethical statements such as "Murder is wrong" are expressions of feelings and attempts to evoke similar feelings in others. Roughly the foregoing expresses disapproval of murder and attempts to evoke the same feelings in others. Carnap however had a command or imperative theory of such sentences. So the sentence would say: Do not steal. This is certainly prescriptive. Schlick adopted a form of utilitariansm. Later philosophers such as R.M. Hare stressed the presecriptive aspects of such statements. Stevenson certainly had a much subtler emotive theory than Ayer.

Cheers, Ken Hanly .