comment on Zionism discussion

Brad DeLong delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU
Sat Jul 21 18:19:29 PDT 2001

>By 1958, the CIA advised, I'm quoting, that "a logical corollary" of
>opposition to Arab nationalism "would be to support Israel as the only
>reliable pro-Western power left in the Middle East." According to this
>reasoning, Israel could become a major base for US power in the region.
>Now that was proposed but not yet implemented. It was implemented after
>1967.

Isn't it more likely that Eisenhower and company thought that this was a really *dumb* idea? And that what was implemented after 1967 was something very different from "support [for] Israel as the only reliable pro-Western power left in the Middle East"? Israel doesn't have any oil, after all. And the Saudis loathe their guts...

>...at this point
>essentially a tripartite alliance was established - Israel, Iran, and
>Saudi Arabia. Saudi Arabia technically was at war with Iran and Israel but
>that makes no difference.

ROFLOL

Where does Chomsky think the PLO's funding came from in the 1970s?

Brad DeLong