Ethical foundations of the left

Kenneth MacKendrick kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Sun Jul 22 12:41:21 PDT 2001

At 08:25 AM 7/22/01 -0700, you wrote:

>Ken>...(ie. libidinally cathected love objects win).
>
> To my Lacanian ex-boyfriend of about 5 yrs. ago, I said once, "You're my
>libidinal cathexis!" We had a good chuckle over that.
>Michael Pugliese
>P.S. Is it you, Ken, that told me that story about Lacan visiting the USA,
>going to a baseball game (NY Yankees?!) being asked who he was, and
>replying, "I'm Jean Paul Sartre!"

Nope, wasn't mean, but I've heard the story. Apparently Lacan was acting like a twit, a bad kind of twit - which was common enough (he was quite proud of his idiocy) - but didn't want to be confused with Jacques Lacan, who is a particular twit. Aside from that, he hated Americans and America, aside from Stuart Schneiderman who he took on as an analysand (Schneiderman wrote a really nice book, Jacques Lacan: The Death of an Intellectual Hero). I'd like to say it was a book about Sartre, but it wasn't (and it isn't nearly as awe-full as the subtitle indicates). But this is all rumour mill stuff, if I have a reference, I have no idea where it is located. Such is the library of one who shuffles books by validity (truth, ideology, undecided) [most of my biographies are located in undecided].

yours truly, Felix Guattari