Ethical foundations of the left

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sun Jul 22 15:35:28 PDT 2001

First thing, I would say that as an abstract methodological point, Justin is correct. He is merely restating what the late W.V. Quine liked to call "Duhemian holism." And Justin is correct in pointing out that Rawls' method of reflective equilibrium is simply an extension of Quinean-Duhemian holism to moral and political philosophy. Having said that, it must be pointed out that while we are in principle always free to tinker around with our premises, so that we can always come up with a belief system that will accomodate our intuitions, whatever they may be, it is also the case that not all such tinkerings will prove to be equally pragmatic for us. For one thing to accomodate, what most of us would regard as goofy intuitions or beliefs will tend to require such tinkering as to render our theoretical system to be most unparsimonous. And that, other things being equal is not likely to prove very useful in practice. In moral theory, while strong intiotions may indeed be able to trump otherwise sound arguments, such is not always the case. For one thing people do not always have the same moral intuitions, and such intuitions do change over time. In our time, most people would take the immorality of slavery as a strong intuition. But even in the 19th century, the wrongness of slavery was not intuitively evident to many people in the US. Moral arguments can sometime trump strong intuitions through the use of a sufficiently compelling moral reasoning which is able to convince us that certain otherwise strong moral intuitions that we may have are inconsistent with other very strong moral intuitions. If such was not the case, then moral argumentation would hardly ever be worth anyone's time and energy. And yet over the centuries, a great many highly intelligent people have thought it to be a worthwhile practice to engage in. Apparently, for them moral argument was pragmatically successful.

Another point, is that assuming that Justin has represented Posner's position correctly, then he sounds suspiciously like a pomo. Many other pomos have drawn upon views akin to Duhemian holism to justify a relativist epistemology, in ways that Quine would most certainly have disapproved.

Jim F.