[ASDnet] NLG Condemns G8 Repression and Use of Live Ammunition

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Mon Jul 23 06:37:06 PDT 2001

I am hoping that the NLG, which for obvious reasons has rather close relationships with many of the anarchist madness folks (as their lawyers) and also with the non-violent leaders as police observers, will play a role in promoting an alternative approach in demos. But there are strong feelings in the Guild going in both directions on this issue because of these relationships, which explains some of the "turgidness" - usually a sign of compromising language.

Like the rest of the activist left, the NLG will have to go through a serious political discussion to decide how to deal with this issue, with a special responsibility since we are both a political group and an association of lawyers who end up representing some of the folks getting condemned.

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org http://www.nathannewman.org ----- Original Message ----- From: "Max Sawicky" <sawicky at bellatlantic.net> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Monday, July 23, 2001 9:10 AM Subject: RE: [ASDnet] NLG Condemns G8 Repression and Use of Live Ammunition

For what it's worth, I thought the NLG statement was o.k., albeit turgid and a little light on criticism of anarchist madness.

The comparison of this dude (not by Nathan or the NLG) with Goodman/Chaney/ Schwerner is obscene.

mbs

I myself would not compare this particular death to either Jesus or Goodman et al. The NLG press release was written with some care - based on a relatively hard debate on how to deal with what may be a partly culpable person who was killed . . .