Protester Shot in Head, Run Over in Genoa

Kelley Walker kwalker2 at gte.net
Mon Jul 23 04:05:08 PDT 2001

At 08:22 AM 7/23/01 +0100, Daniel Davies wrote:
> --- Max Sawicky <sawicky at bellatlantic.net> wrote: > I wasn't there, and I
>would not doubt
> > at all that the police instigated
> > violence, or committed the vast bulk
> > of it. But if a mob of people were
> > throwing rocks at me I would have no
> > compunctions about shooting them.
>
>Horseshit. If you're a riot cop, then you are provided, by the government,
>gratis, as part of your uniform, with

firstly, i think max was fairly cautious in saying that it was his reaction to the photos and given the info he had to work with, that was his position at the time.

but i wanted to ask: don't you think that the crucial difference here is that they were on the run, the sizzlean that is. they aren't trained to deal with that, losing, are they? it seems to me that any training in non-lethal crowd control is going to be subsumed over reassertion of their authority in the form of killing people precisely in the situation they were in: isolated from their fellow thugs and facing a small band of protestors.

http://clients.loudeye.com/imc/italy/devin.ram Death in Genoa: testimony of the photographer [audio] by olivier

kelley

p.s. i talked with someone who's been stationed in italy for years. take it with a grain of salt, but he told me that you don't mess around with carbanieri and that they've been known to terrorize people in villages where they run the show. can anyone else corroborate this? or was it just this guy's subjective interpretation>?