Protester Shot in Head, Run Over in Genoa

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema crdbronx at erols.com
Tue Jul 24 07:16:09 PDT 2001

The Italian carabinieri were set up as a police force organized on military lines (military command structure, barracks, etc) in the nineteenth century to establish control over a primitive countryside, fight bandits, also fight peasant uprisings, generally to establish bourgeois state hegemony with all its good and bad sides. Like the Guardia Civil in Spain. Not a usual police force in amore advanced capitalist country.

Kelley Walker wrote:

> p.s. i talked with someone who's been stationed in italy for years. take it
> with a grain of salt, but he told me that you don't mess around with
> carbanieri and that they've been known to terrorize people in villages
> where they run the show. can anyone else corroborate this? or was it just
> this guy's subjective interpretation>?

So there's a tradition we're less familiar with in more advanced countries.

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema