Ethical foundations of the left

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 23 07:52:49 PDT 2001

I'm a pragmatist, and no skeptic. I'm a coppper-bottomed realist about science and at least a tin-bottomed realist about ethics. I think arguments can help us become better justified in our beliefs, and more likely to have true ones. I just doubt their motivational power where argument opposes interest or even intellectual intertia. Marxists and people influenced by historical materialism ought to be comfortable with that idea.

--jks