Ethical foundations of the left

Luke Benjamin Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Mon Jul 23 11:40:41 PDT 2001

My allusion to the skepticism of pragmatists was too broad. Indeed, pragmatists (to cite one example) are certainly less skeptical than most when it comes to the weight moral intuitions ought to be given. But they are much more so when it comes to ethical arguments, and this is the skepticism I meant to refer to. I think I should point out that, although I'm certainly no expert, that many pragmatists give moral argument less credit than Justin does. Rorty might question whether they actually do get us any closer to the "truth."

-- Luke

----- Original Message ----- From: "Justin Schwartz" <jkschw at hotmail.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Monday, July 23, 2001 7:52 AM Subject: Re: Ethical foundations of the left