Ethical foundations of the left

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 23 08:01:43 PDT 2001

Some pragmatists are skeptics of a sort. Classical Jamesian and Deweyan pragmatism was antirealist about truth, substituting (respectively) "what works for you" and "justifief belief." Pierce was not, but he was so upset with what D & J had done to pragmatism that he changed the name of his philosophy to "pragmaticism." Modern neopragmatism is all over the map on this. Rorty can be construed as a sort of antirealist heir to James who accepts a "consensus" theory of truth, although he is slippery and backs off from thsi when pressed. Posner is corrosively skeptical about any big epistemological questions. Quine and Sellars were scientific realists, as is Boyd. Goodman was a total relativist.

--jks