Ethical foundations of the left

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 23 12:39:07 PDT 2001

I don't go in for this Habermasian metaphysics (sorry, Kells!). Your argument proves too much. It's also uniquely human to baffle each other (and ourselves) with bullshit or blind each other with razzle-dazzle. And to appeal to each other's sympathies, to move each other emotionally, to make rhetorical appeals, etc. And these latter may be more powerful motivationally. King's I Have A Dream Speech expresses a vision, not an argument, and it had more good effect (in less time) than the collected ethical writings of Kant. You misunderstand me if you think I say argument doesn't matter. What I said, rather, is that it doesn't _motivate._ That's why I'm sort of a Humean. Reason is the slave of the passions, whether or not it ought to be. And I'm talkinga bout fundamentals. Of course peiole get persuaded about means and about peripheral matters all the time, and even in ways that affect your behavior.

--jks