[ASDnet] NLG Condemns G8 Repression and Use of Live Ammunition

Kelley Walker kwalker2 at gte.net
Tue Jul 24 11:08:28 PDT 2001

At 06:18 PM 7/24/01 +0100, Daniel Davies wrote:
> --- Kelley Walker <kwalker2 at gte.net> wrote:
> > max is lambasted for suggesting that we ought to care about what people
> who
> > aren't radicalized think.
> >

>in fairness, what set me off on the lambastment trail was the suggestion
>that Giuliani was the author of his own misfortunes.

obviously this is debatable, but i didn't read that in what he said at all.

that Giuliani was the author of his own misfortune is probably what a lot of people think--in the US at any rate.

so, how do you fight that? what do you say?

well, what did indymedia say? let's take a look at the PPT that pugliese sent a link to. the PPT text comments suggest, among other things, that:

1. the only reason Giuliani had a fire extinguisher in his hand was because he bent over to remove it from the path of a friend in the midst of tripping over it. 2. he then picked up the fire extinguisher and, because he was holding it in front of his body, then he couldn't possibly have been throwing it and was using it to protect himself.

now, there's an example of precisely what max is talking about. and what i'm alluding to. if the media spins it to make the protestors and Giuliani specifically into pure embodiments of Evil, then spinning it for our own purposes to make them and Giuliani into embodiments of the Good isn't the corrective we ought to pursue.

it makes us look like unmitigated bullshit artists and liars.

were i going to help a tripping friend, i probably would brace my arms to he could fall on them, instead of on the ground. what Giuliani did was get more in the way so it was inevitable that guy in the sweatshirt fell.

since i'm a woman, i can identify with someone without a lot of upper arm strength, like Giuliani. I'd throw a heavy canister by using my upper body, instead of my shoulder and arms alone.

that kind of nonsense is exactly the kind of nonsense that people aren't going to buy. it's the kind of thing that makes us look like the dishonest media we ostensibly denounce.

as / dave / said, why use the very same tactics we denounce? just so we can express solidarity?! which makes us no different than the sizzlean when they clam up to protect one of their own.

feh.