Ethical foundations of the left

Luke Benjamin Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Tue Jul 24 15:30:43 PDT 2001

> I mean that argument doesn't change people's minds about the kind of
> fixed-point first order moral judgments that philosophical theses are
> supposed to explain, like "abortion is wrong" or "people should not
> be allowed to starve in the streets."

In general, this may be true (although, shockingly enough, I'm not willing to concede the point yet). However, it certainly isn't true in every instance. If you were willing to carry the argument to that (ludicrous) extreme, it would prove to be as unilluminating and ultimately unconvincing as the argument for pschological egoism.

-- Luke