The History of Disability

Luke Benjamin Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Wed Jul 25 12:08:36 PDT 2001

> I have a curvature of the spine! And my good friend Marion was born
> without an arm! So the devaluation of the disabled body is clearly
> present here. It is so culturally ingrained that we disabled persons
> are better off dead that you do not see it. These are quality of life
> judgements assumed by a nondisabled parent.
> The slippery slope is already slipped IMO. Abortion is being used to
> get rid of disabled persons -- of any degree of impairment. This
> ruling just makes that very clear.
>
> Marta

I don't think the issue should be whether or not a life lived with a disability is worth living. Most all lives fit that criterion. However, if fetuses with severe disabilities are aborted, it allows the parents to have another child whose life is presumably more worth living because it isn't hindered by a disability. This isn't meant as a condemnation of the disabled. If my parents had conceived a more intelligent and better-looking child in place of myself, presumably her life would've been more worth living than mine.

-- Luke