The History of Disability

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Tue Jul 24 13:57:45 PDT 2001

I don't think women in France are in any danger of having their reproductive rights thwarted. This ruling clearly shows that the medical model is applied to disability without any regard for the social model as put forth by disabled activists. The article said

"The judgment confirmed a decision last November that was widely described as establishing in law a disabled child's "right not to be born." The appeals court ruled on a plea by the families of three children born with physical deformities who claimed that if doctors had not failed to

spot the disabilities in the womb the pregnancies would have been terminated. The children are aged 9 to 11. One has a malformation of the spine; the others two were born with only one arm."

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/07/14/international/14FRAN.html

I have a curvature of the spine! And my good friend Marion was born without an arm! So the devaluation of the disabled body is clearly present here. It is so culturally ingrained that we disabled persons are better off dead that you do not see it. These are quality of life judgements assumed by a nondisabled parent. The slippery slope is already slipped IMO. Abortion is being used to get rid of disabled persons -- of any degree of impairment. This ruling just makes that very clear.

Marta