Ethical foundations of the left

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Wed Jul 25 12:54:35 PDT 2001

I havent finished it but the article seems quite readable and a welcome change from the contradictory relativist claptrap passed of as thinking about ethics these days. However Dworkin says:

A positive moral judgment ascribes a moral predicate to an act or person or event; a negative one denies such an ascription.

I wonder why he does not include legal persons such as corporations? Do acts include corporate acts I wonder? Certainly ordinary discourse involves moral judgments re corporations, teams, and the like all the time. Is there some conceptual problem here?

Cheers, Ken Hanly

----- Original Message ----- From: Luke Benjamin Weiger <lweiger at umich.edu> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Monday, July 23, 2001 7:49 PM Subject: Re: Ethical foundations of the left