Ethical foundations of the left

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Jul 25 13:47:18 PDT 2001

Kenneth MacKendrick wrote:

> Would you agree that we can differentiate between an internal state of
> affairs (subjective), a social state of affairs (intersubjective) and an
> external state of affairs (objective)?

Tentatively, I would reject the first of these: no "internal state of affairs" exists independently of a social state of affairs. Chronologically, shared social states preceded self-consciousness by a million or more years. We _are_ our social relations, and those relations are prior to any internal state of affairs.

Carrol