The History of Disability

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Wed Jul 25 14:41:45 PDT 2001

Leo -- I don't believe that women are informed - the way that policy is discussed and implemented around prenatal testing shows considerable ignorance about impairment and disability. There is not an equal playing field because society is biased and prone to dispose of impaired persons. This is a major part of the oppression, so though a woman has the potential to make informed choice she often is not making it as fully informed individual. Her (or anyone's decisions) are conditioned by medical professionals and the society. Hence selective abortion for disability is dominant. Blind, deaf, mobility impaired, missing a limb, these are all undesirable in the medicalized view of disability. Rather still, the question is why is the impaired body so unwanted? My short email answer is because we are devalued as workers, excluded from the means of making a livilihood in this capitalist economy which "disables" those with significant impairments. I have already written at length about this in several papers. I would highly recommend that you read Michael oliver "Understanding Disability: from Theory to Practice" (1996 St. Martin's Press). Yes, I do draw a line -- at conditions that would result in death in a short time, say two to three years. As for the genetic screening angle -- shall we get rid of all the invisible disabilities, that is the fetus which may develop prostate cancer at age 50-60? You see the absurdity of tinkering with this.

Marta