The History of Disability

Lawrence lawrence at krubner.com
Wed Jul 25 23:41:13 PDT 2001

Just an anecdote I'd like to insert, perhaps slightly off topic: my close friend Wendy is a nurse who works in labor and delivery. She hears of some of the cases that fall apart, that is, the ones that go to pre-natal intensive care. She feels that many times the parents are simply not given enough information to make anything like intelligent decisions regarding their babies future health. This is especially true of poor/uneducated parents. There are obvious intellectual/cultural barriers between the doctors and the parents, especially the poor ones, and not many doctors work actively to get passed all that. Wendy told me of a case recently where a woman had triplets, and she went into labor very early, in the 5th month. All the children had defects of one kind or another. One of the children, the most seriously ill, had no real chance for a normal life. The artery to its liver had a defect, most of its liver had not developed or had already died. The baby had severe jaundice, it was a bright yellow. The yellow is caused by bilirubin, which the liver should remove from the bloodstream but in this cas was unable to. The extremely high levels of bilirubin were causing brain damage. The doctors told the mother they'd like to do surgery on the child. What they wanted to do was reshape the artery to give the liver an adequate blood supply. Then the liver could grow. Even this would not give the child anything like a normal life, but it would improve what life it had. When the surgery was explained to the mother the mother said no to it, "I don't want him to have a big scar across his chest because if he does then the kids will pick on him when he's in school." The doctors either failed to tell the mother or failed to make her understand that the child had little chance of living till school age and, even if they were lucky, would be too brain damaged to attend normal school. The surgery was not done, the child remained an intense yellow, the parents, with their 3 children, including the bright yellow one, were discharged. Essentially, the infant was sent home to die. A month later it was back in the hospital.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marta Russell" <ap888 at lafn.org> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2001 2:41 PM Subject: Re: The History of Disability

> Leo --
> I don't believe that women are informed - the way that policy is
> discussed and implemented around prenatal testing shows considerable
> ignorance about impairment and disability. There is not an equal
> playing field because society is biased and prone to dispose of
> impaired persons. This is a major part of the oppression, so though a
> woman has the potential to make informed choice she often is not
> making it as fully informed individual. Her (or anyone's decisions)
> are conditioned by medical professionals and the society. Hence
> selective abortion for disability is dominant. Blind, deaf, mobility
> impaired, missing a limb, these are all undesirable in the medicalized
> view of disability. Rather still, the question is why is the
> impaired body so unwanted? My short email answer is because we are
> devalued as workers, excluded from the means of making a livilihood in
> this capitalist economy which "disables" those with significant
> impairments. I have already written at length about this in several
> papers. I would highly recommend that you read Michael oliver
> "Understanding Disability: from Theory to Practice" (1996 St. Martin's
Press).